Kale. Arguably the the most nutrient-dense plant and perhaps the best veggie one can put in their mouth. Now with that said, why doesn’t everyone eat this power-packed green? Well, one guess is it has the texture of crate paper and has the subtle taste of bug spray. So why even try? Is the density of nutrients worth how bad raw kale tastes? Eh, probably, but I’m going to show you a way to make a killer kale salad that is soft and delicious and it doesn’t take long to prepare.
OK here is the big secret to making kale salad … massage your kale. Oh yeah, rub it down and get a little freaky with it. Your taste buds will be happy you did. LOL … but seriously, massage it.
OH KALE YEAH SALAD
PREP TIME: 30-40 minutes (includes grain cooking) OR 10-15 minutes with pre-cooked grain
- 1 bunch of kale
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 pinches sea salt
- 2 cups of cooked grain (your choice … I prefer millet, barley, quinoa or any high-quality rice works for me … NO WHITE RICE)
- 1 cup fresh salsa
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup of your favorite seed (sunflower, pumpkin, etc.)
- 1 can of black beans (I really dig tossing in garbanzo beans)
- You can keep adding what you like. This mix covers me all week for lunch or a few lunches and a couple dinners. This concoction also goes great inside a tortilla.
Step 1: Rinse, your bunch of kale and remove the spine. (Don’t throw the spine away you can throw it in your morning smoothie)
Step 2: Chop kale leaves, place in a medium-large bowl (depending on how much kale you have. I use a large bowl because I use a lot of ingredients.)
Step 3: Once your chopped kale is in the bowl, drizzle olive oil or coconut oil over the leaves, add sea salt. Roll up your sleeves and begin massaging the kale. Rub it, squeeze it, tweak it … do it for 3-5 minutes.
Step 4: Add the other ingredients and mix well.
Try this! This is so full of nutrition and chalk full protein too. One small bowl of this will satiate you for hours. Enjoy!!
Just to be clear, I wasn’t really sure where you were going with the whole massaging thing, but ummm, OK … I’m sure it’s truly the “hidden secret.” Oh and yes, I did change the title from Oh Kale Yeah to this … I mean seriously?