Smoothies, shakes, overnight oats, etc. We all have our version of what works for us in the a.m. or as a simple meal replacement or after a workout. I have many and to say any one is my favorite would be like asking which of my kids is my favorite (it’s my son) … kidding love them the same.
I do, however, have my “go-to” shake that’s like one part nutrition supplement, one part science experiment, and perhaps one part a delicious dare every time I make it. As adventurous as I may be with my shake choices my beautiful Gastro Lovely isn’t as much of a dare devil, Mmmmm the faces she makes when I say, “Babe you need to try this, it’s really good” … the response I get back is less than encouraging in most cases, but after the facial distortions and “ewww, that looks like liquid garbage” she tries it and i usually pleasantly surprised (of course she doesn’t always tell me, but I know—I ALWAYS know).
What makes my shakes not just delicious (albeit sorta gross looking) are the extra ingredients that provide a power punch to the system … sort of like your body, mind and soul giving each other a high five and a flick in the nuts at the same time.
So check out this power packed present to your body in the form of “liquid garbage.” I think you’ll like it…the rest of you will for sure:Ingredients
Liquid Garbage aka morning protein shake
- 1 banana
- 2 cups nut milk (I prefer coconut milk, Gastro Lovely prefers oat milk)
- 1 Tbs milled flaxseed (omega-3s)
- 1 1/2 Tbs cacao powder (mega-dose of antioxidants)
- 1 Tbs moringa powder—in place of greens if you like powder (protein, calcium, iron and fiber)
- 1 tsp maca powder (vitamins C and B6, calcium, iron, potassium, copper, manganese, protein, and other good stuff)
- 1 Tbs chia seeds (omega-3s, protein, fiber, other vitamins)
- 1/2 Tbs of ground cinnamon (anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, chalk full of other incredible properties)
- 1 Tbs of liquid MCT oil (gotta have my good fats especially in the a.m. to assist with brain fog and at my age I need all the help I can get)
- You can add any greens kale, spinach, etc. if you like but with everything that’s tossed in here it may be overkill … but knock yourself out.
Uh…just add it all together in your mixer and blend. I think you’ll like it. Yes if you can get past what it may look like especially if you opt to use water rather than a nut milk, the liquid garbage will be something you will want to make over and over. Enjoy.
Ummmm … can we add a little almond butter, or cashews and shaved coconut like in the photo? I mean I’ve learned the difference between maca and matcha, between cacoa (did I spell that right?) and coco so I think I deserve a little extra something sweet with my morning glass of garbage.Please 😉
DISCLAIMER: Our recipes are just that, ours. Some are modified versions of dishes we’ve had elsewhere or old-favorites that contained animal proteins, while others are a concentrated effort of trial and error. But all are intended to be altered by you and made to suit your tastes. So if you want more garlic or none at all, go for it. You do you ; )
Coconut flour made this bread look ugly but also made it healthy and super delicious.
What do you grab when you’re starving but don’t have a lot of time? Hint, there is no right answer, but there are a lot of wrong ones …
When it comes to food, beauty may or may not be in the ye of the beholder … but taste is taste and these are delicious!